Notes for my writing

This blog is made up of notes on the gospel as found in the only true and living church, the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. This includes notes that are either excerpts from or ideas for books I either have in draft or may yet write.

Wednesday, February 3, 2016

The new policy and the scriptures

I think one can't be unhappy with the policy unless one is either unhappy with our existing scriptures or, more likely, hasn't really read and thought about them. If we only knew our existing scripture, this policy would have created no stir. We cheer along with the verses where the Lord speaks of those who say "A bible, a bible, we have a bible and need no more bible", and where the Lord asks why anyone would be unhappy to receive more of his word --- but then how do we, ourselves, treat the old testament? We all know Christ loved the scriptures, quoted them frequently, and referred to them constantly. But I think it is rare that we realize that the scripture Christ loved and quoted was the old testament. We are also not fond of parts of the new testamant and many of Christ's own words. We love to quote "my yoke is easy and my burden is light". But we muzzle Christ and won't quote "He that loveth father or mother more than me is not worthy of me: and he that loveth son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me." We misportray Christ when we quote "my yoke is easy" freely, but won't also freely quote his words: "thou art an offence unto me: for thou savourest not the things that be of God, but those that be of men."

The one about loving father or mother or sister or brother more than Christ meaning that we are not worthy of Christ would be particularly valuable to members these days. Those who fear to stand by the church on homosexuality almost always started down that path by fearing to offend someone - by loving someone more than Christ. That scripture, if well quoted, could have had a transforming effect on us, and I think, still has the power to do so. We think we can choose to side with a gay relative or friend against Christ and he won't mind. We think that is the kind of God he is. We need the scriptures that teach that God is a jealous God, and that he that loves friends and family more that Christ, is not worthy of Christ, as stated by Christ's own mouth. Then we would be more circumspect when faced with a choice of whether to stand by or friends, or our family, or else by the living God.

No comments:

Post a Comment