Notes for my writing

This blog is made up of notes on the gospel as found in the only true and living church, the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. This includes notes that are either excerpts from or ideas for books I either have in draft or may yet write.

Friday, February 26, 2016

The JST is terrific, and offers more than you thought

It is not well known, but the footnotes in the lds scriptures do not contain all the Joseph Smith translations. That was made clear at the time that the current edition of the scriptures came out. They said that only the most significant changes were included in the footnotes. Generally they do a decent job.

But as I recall, there are places where no single change makes a tremendous difference, but where there were a large number of minor changes that, taken together, significantly clarify the meaning of the text. The book of Romans was this way as I recall.

So I am just starting in on part of Romans 1 and including the full JST changes in the text over part of that chapter. I will put the JST changes in bold.

Romans 1:1-13

1 Paul, an apostle, a servant of God, called of Jesus Christ, and separated to preach the gospel,
2 (Which he had promised before by his prophets in the holy scriptures)
3 Concerning his Son, Jesus Christ our Lord, which was made of the seed of David according to the flesh;
4 And declared the Son of God with power, by the spirit according to the truth, through the resurrection from the dead:
5 By whom we have received grace and apostleship, through obedience, and faith in his name to preach the gospel among all nations;
6 Among whom ye also are called of Jesus Christ;
7 Wherefore I write to all who are in Rome, beloved of God, called saints; Grace to you, and peace, from God our Father, and the Lord Jesus Christ.
8 First, I thank my God through Jesus Christ, that you all are steadfast, and your faith is spoken of throughout the whole world.
9 For God is my witness, whom I serve, that without ceasing I make mention of you always in my prayers, that you may be kept through the Spirit, in the gospel of his Son,
10 Making request of you, to remember me in your prayers, I now write unto you, that you will ask him in faith, that if by any means, at length, I may serve you with my labors, and may have a prosperous journey by the will of God, to come unto you.
11 For I long to see you, that I may impart unto you some spiritual gift, that it may be established in you to the end;
12 That I may be comforted together with you by the mutual faith both of you and me.
13 Now I would not have you ignorant, brethren, that oftentimes I purposed to come unto you, ( but was hindered hitherto,) that I might have some fruit among you also, even as among other Gentiles.

Now there are actually more changes than are apparent at first glance at this, because there are probably 4 or 5 places where the JST took a word or phrase out of the text. And you can see the additions and changes easily with the above highlights, but you can't easily tell where there is text that was removed. But it gives you a sense of how much JST there really is in Romans 1.

Note that only the changes in verse 5 appear in the JST footnotes.

Now the vast bulk of the scriptures are not corrected or clarified nearly that much by the JST. Generally, the lds footnotes do a decent job of giving you the JST.

But there is very significant clarification to the text here, and it is mostly not available in the JST footnotes of our scriptures. If you don't have a copy of the "Inspired Version", you might want to consider getting a copy of it for personal study. If you want to quote and read verses aloud that sound like everyone else then the JST might be an obstacle. If you want to understand what the scriptures are teaching, the JST is amazing.


No comments:

Post a Comment