Notes for my writing

This blog is made up of notes on the gospel as found in the only true and living church, the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. This includes notes that are either excerpts from or ideas for books I either have in draft or may yet write.

Friday, December 4, 2015

Sodom and Gomorrah were destroyed by God using man as instrument

We read of the destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah this interaction between Lot and one of the holy men:

Genesis 19:20 Behold now, this city is near to flee unto, and it is a little one: Oh, let me escape thither, (is it not a little one?) and my soul shall live.
21 And he said unto him, See, I have accepted thee concerning this thing also, that I will not overthrow this city, for the which thou hast spoken.
22 Haste thee, escape thither; for I cannot do any thing till thou be come thither. Therefore the name of the city was called Zoar.

Now this is quite different than the way we think of the account.

Who destroyed Sodom and Gomorrah?

Yes, it was destroyed by the power of God.

But it was destroyed by the power of God through men acting as the instrument.

Look at the text, for the holy man who led Lot out of the city states to Lot "I will not overthrow this city, for the which thou hast spoken" as well as "Haste thee, escape thither; for I cannot do any thing till thou be come thither."

So yes, the Lord rained fire from heaven on Sodom and Gomorrah, just as he sent down fire at the request of Elijah to consume his sacrifice, and just as he turned the water of Egypt to blood under Moses. It was done using man as an instrument.

No comments:

Post a Comment