Notes for my writing

This blog is made up of notes on the gospel as found in the only true and living church, the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. This includes notes that are either excerpts from or ideas for books I either have in draft or may yet write.

Tuesday, December 1, 2015

Despite what we think being lukewarm isn't better than being cold

These verses are profound, but not what we want to hear.

Revelation 3: 15 I know thy works, that thou art neither cold nor hot: I would thou wert cold or hot.
16 So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spue thee out of my mouth.

The Lord is saying in no uncertain terms that he would prefer they were faithfully in the church or simply outside the church altogether rather than being "lukewarm". We don't really believe that. We think that lukewarm is halfway from cold to warm, so lukewarm must be better than cold, right.

But the Lord not only says to these people that "I would thou wert cold or hot". He goes further and says "Because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spue thee out of my mouth".

We see many who are lukewarm today. They balk at such plain statements of truth as "boys are really boys" and "girls really are girls" or "marriage is only for boys and girls". That goes beyond not just enduring truth. That is not enduring plain old reality itself. If we can't endure reality, we aren't "hot" in the church, now are we. If we can't endure the plainest of truth without squirming, but we think we are faithful, then we aren't hot, and we aren't cold. We are lukewarm.

And it would apparently be better if the lukewarm people chose to be hot or cold. At least, it is as long as we can tolerate the Lord's own statements about the matter.

No comments:

Post a Comment