Notes for my writing

This blog is made up of notes on the gospel as found in the only true and living church, the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. This includes notes that are either excerpts from or ideas for books I either have in draft or may yet write.

Sunday, November 8, 2015

Truth should be taught with focus on principles, not on details



Our society is too blind to be willing accept truth without all the ifs, ands, and buts explained in all gory detail. Correspondingly, we are perfectly happy to accept many of the adversary's lies without any reason to believe them in the first place.

The scriptures almost always simply state truth without going into all gory detail. That is actually God's way. He expects us to recognize and accept truth for its own sake. He wants us to learn to taste truth for ourselves without having all the details spelled out for us in advance. That is part of the principle of faith. We cannot learn truth without faith. And faith is not a perfect knowledge of things. 

He wants us to learn to taste the principles of eternal life so we can recognize truth simply because it tastes like truth.

As Joseph Smith put it:

This is good doctrine. It tastes good. I can taste the principles of eternal life, and so can you. They are given to my by the revelations of Jesus Christ; and I know that when I tell you these words of eternal life as they are given to me, you taste them, and I know that you believe them. You say honey is sweet, and so do I. I can also taste the spirit of eternal life. I know it is good; and when I tell you of these things which were given my by inspiration of the Holy Spirit, you are bound to receive them as sweet, and rejoice more and more.




No comments:

Post a Comment