Notes for my writing

This blog is made up of notes on the gospel as found in the only true and living church, the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. This includes notes that are either excerpts from or ideas for books I either have in draft or may yet write.

Friday, November 20, 2015

How should gospel writing be valued

From time to time I have had one person or another offer an opinion about how I think others should value what I write.

It is simple. I think my writing should be taken in exactly the same way I think any one else's should be, which is this:

Insofar as one writes by the power of the Holy Ghost then what he writes is the mind of the Lord, the will of the Lord, and the power of God unto salvation.

And insofar as one is writing anything else, insofar as one is writing from oneself, that writing is worthless, it is nothing more than the varied and useless opinions of man.

It is up to the reader to determine how much, if any, belongs in either class. God expects us to recognize and accept anything written by the power of the Holy Ghost. And he expects us to reject anything that is not of him. And that is true whenever you are reading anything written by anyone addressing eternal truths.

Joseph Smith wrote: "Have the Presbyterians any truth? Yes. Have the Baptists, Methodists, etc., any truth? Yes. They all have a little truth mixed with error. We should gather all the good and true principles in the world and treasure them up, or we shall not come out true 'Mormons.'"

What else did you expect? That is the doctrine.

No comments:

Post a Comment