Notes for my writing

This blog is made up of notes on the gospel as found in the only true and living church, the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. This includes notes that are either excerpts from or ideas for books I either have in draft or may yet write.

Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Choosing the fear of men over the fear of God


Last night in our scriptures we read the following verse

Matthew 10:37 He that loveth father or mother more than me is not worthy of me: and he that loveth son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me.

We see this choice being made all around us these days. I am surprised at the sheer volume of cases I have run into where someone either states that they won't stand up for truth on moral matters, or actually opposes truth on moral matters because they would offend some relative or friend who is involved in one or another immoral practice - these days homosexuality and its ilk are the particular battleground this has been taking place on.

But Christ's doctrine on the matter is:

Matthew 10:37 He that loveth father or mother more than me is not worthy of me: and he that loveth son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me.

Other stories I have run into that are, on the surface, sadder, involve someone telling about standing firm that immorality is serious sin, and finding themselves ostracized by a family member, or even their family at large for doing so.

These days it seems like it is very common to face a choice. It seems practically everybody is choosing sides. Will they avoid offending someone? Will they stand up and be counted? Will they stand with Jesus Christ about right and wrong. Will they be more concerned about pleasing men, or about pleasing God?

Its not a new choice, but it has taken a new form. Sadly many are choosing the fear of men over the fear of God. As is often the case, they disguise their choice to themselves and others as a virtue saying they are just being non-judgmental, and even calling anyone who insists on calling good good, and on calling evil evil a hater.

But name calling is also nothing new.

3 Nephi 11:11 And blessed are ye when men shall revile you and persecute, and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely, for my sake;

And while being ostracized within ones family may be the cost of standing for truth now, it is apparently a price that is going to get higher. The last days do not promise to be days of ease for those who will simply insist that right is right, and wrong is wrong, and that truth is an unchanging and eternal thing. Joseph Smith said:

"I saw men hunting the lives of their own sons, and brother murdering brother, women killing their own daughters, and daughters seeking the lives of their mothers. I saw armies arrayed against armies. I saw blood, desolation, fires. The Son of man has said that the mother shall be against the daughters, and the daughter against the mother. These things are at our doors. They will follow the Saints of God from city to city. Satan will rage, and the spirit of the devil is now enraged. I know not how soon these things will take place; but with a view of them, shall I cry peace? No; I will lift up my voice and testify of them. How long you will have good crops, and the famine be kept off, I do not know; when the fig tree leaves, know then that the summer is nigh at hand." (Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith page 161)

No comments:

Post a Comment