Notes for my writing

This blog is made up of notes on the gospel as found in the only true and living church, the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. This includes notes that are either excerpts from or ideas for books I either have in draft or may yet write.

Thursday, April 23, 2015

The works that ye have seen me do

When Christ said "The works that ye have seen me do, that shall ye also do", we always read it as "The sort of behavior and service ye have seen me do, that shall ye also do". But that isn't what he is actually getting at, because he follows it up with telling them that they would do greater works than he had done because he went to the Father.

He isn't talking about behavior and service. He is talking about the works of his Father being plainly manifest in him. He is saying, in part, "these signs shall follow them that believe....".

Actually, in retrospect I should have realized that because of Lectures on faith discussion on the disciples doing greater works than he had done.


No comments:

Post a Comment