Notes for my writing

This blog is made up of notes on the gospel as found in the only true and living church, the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. This includes notes that are either excerpts from or ideas for books I either have in draft or may yet write.

Sunday, April 19, 2015

Celebrating our differences.

In an age of immorality it seems that people cannot even be honest with themselves about what makes them happy. I cannot remember the number of times I have been admonished "celebrate differences". I have even heard people go so far as to say that it is in our differences that we find the most joy.

That's just weird. It is taught believing that your really can change human nature by teaching something with enough intensity.

When I find myself in a new group of people, I don't find myself naturally pairing up with those people who are the most different than myself. If I find someone who likes all the things I do, who views the world the same way I do, there is a natural joy and satisfaction that comes from talking with that person and sharing our likenesses. This is not a feeling that I have been trained into. It is human nature.

If our differences is what brings us joy, then naturally I should have looked for a wife who had as little in common with myself as possible, so I could have the most joyous marriage. But instead I am happy to have a wife that, while there are things that we differ on, was someone I naturally found myself tied to through our common way of understanding life and the world around us. Differences in marriage aren't the domain of joy but of struggle, effort, and compromise.

The idea that our differences is what I should be celebrating and have joy in is really only popular
now for two reasons:

1) Ironically, by saying "celebrate our differences" you will have shown that you have conformed to what is popular. You will have shown that you aren't going to stand out and distinquish yourself from popular ideas. One of the main reasons "celebrating our differences" is popular is because it shows that you are the same, are conformal, are going along with what will be popular. You stand by the most popular ideas of the day and actively teach them. You're not going to rock the boat.

2) The main reason this idea of "celebrating our differences" gained impetutus in the first place was because "our differences" really had to do with misbehavior. It is the get-out-of-jail-free card for any misbehavior. It is a social contract that agrees that if you will not say anything is wrong, you can also do whatever wrong things you want, and no one will accuse you either. This is how the idea gained momentum and is why it is so popular in a day of gross immorality.

So why don't we go ahead and be real and celebrate the things we share with other people. That is  our nature. There are limits to it, as there are to anything we enjoy. I like steak, but not every meal every day. I don't want to live in a world of clones of myself. But I like to have conversation with someone that doesn't believe in the opposite of everything I say. Yes, I like some variety, as everyone does. But I don't want to give up what I like just for the sake of variety.

Human nature fundamentally celebrates what we share, what we have experienced, thought, or felt that others have also experienced, thought or felt. That goes along with the fact that a good marriage is based on becoming one, not become more divergently different from each other.

Let us celebrate our similarities. That is our very nature.

No comments:

Post a Comment