Notes for my writing

This blog is made up of notes on the gospel as found in the only true and living church, the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. This includes notes that are either excerpts from or ideas for books I either have in draft or may yet write.

Sunday, January 4, 2015

God will do nothing but what he will reveal his secret unto his servants the prophets

Someone recently posted this quote online. I am not familiar with the book, as I have a great fondness for Joseph Fielding Smith's compilation of Joseph Smith's words and still feel like I haven't digested much of that yet. Nevertheless, here is the quote

The Words of Joseph Smith Page 180-181
"Remarks on the coming of the Son of Man by Joseph Smith the Prophet, made in Nauvoo. Christ says no man knoweth the day or the hour when the Son of Man cometh. This is a sweeping argument for sectarianism against Latter day ism. Did Christ speak this as a general principle throughout all generations. Oh no, he spoke in the present tense, No man that was then living upon the footstool of God knew the day or the hour, But he did not say that there was no man throughout all generations that should not know the day or the hour. No, for this would be in flat contradiction with other scripture for the prophet says that God will do nothing but what he will reveal unto his Servants the prophets, consequently if it is not made known to the Prophets, it will not come to pass..."
Someone objected to it. But it is interesting to compare what is taught here to what we see in the scriptures with the birth of Christ

3 Nephi 1:12 And it came to pass that he cried mightily unto the Lord all that day; and behold, the voice of the Lord came unto him, saying:
 13 Lift up your head and be of good cheer; for behold, the time is at hand, and on this night shall the sign be given, and on the morrow come I into the world, to show unto the world that I will fulfil all that which I have caused to be spoken by the mouth of my holy prophets.
 14 Behold, I come unto my own, to fulfil all things which I have made known unto the children of men from the foundation of the world, and to do the will, both of the Father and of the Son—of the Father because of me, and of the Son because of my flesh. And behold, the time is at hand, and this night shall the sign be given.
 15 And it came to pass that the words which came unto Nephi were fulfilled, according as they had been spoken; for behold, at the going down of the sun there was no darkness; and the people began to be astonished because there was no darkness when the night came.

This verse also seems relevant. I expect that the use of a plural in Amos 3:7 is intentional, and it fits well with with this. Both also fit with Bruce R McConkie's teaching that there really isn't anything at all that the prophet knows by revelation that a regular member can't know by revelation.
Alma  13:25 And now we only wait to hear the joyful news declared unto us by the mouth of angels, of his coming for the time cometh, we know now how soon. Would to God that it might be in my day; but let it be sooner or later, in it I will rejoice.

No comments:

Post a Comment