Notes for my writing

This blog is made up of notes on the gospel as found in the only true and living church, the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. This includes notes that are either excerpts from or ideas for books I either have in draft or may yet write.

Saturday, October 4, 2014

The Poor of the Earth

Some notes typed while listening to Love Elder Holland (Gen Conf October 2014)

I loved his citing:

2 Nephi 13:13 The Lord standeth up to plead, and standeth to judge the people.
 14 The Lord will enter into judgment with the ancients of his people and the princes thereof; for ye have eaten up the vineyard and the spoil of the poor in your houses.
 15 What mean ye? Ye beat my people to pieces, and grind the faces of the poor, saith the Lord God of Hosts.

In this nation and time, I don't think we really understand what poverty really even means. I love fast offering specifically because it can help those outside of this nation if we can keep perspective on what poverty is and given with corresponding generosity. The rich must be brought down that the poor may be made rich, and we are so rich as a nation we hardly know what real poverty looks like.

I miss the missionary homecoming slideshows we used to have because of the constant reminders they gave of true poverty.

I remember a coworker who grew up in a part of Brazil where starvation was still a common form of death.

I remember the slides my stake president showed of his work in poor parts of south america. I recall the picture of a young girl who was blind from the stage of starvation she had reached when he took the picture and whom he was sure would be dead by the time he returned.

I love the story of the widow and her mites, precisely because she was what we would consider to be the destitute poor, but she gave all.

I love the parable in D&C 38 which I wish got a lot more attention in a world wide church. I am grateful to have seen enough of poverty as it has existed through almost all of the worlds history in almost all of the worlds locations and for the vast majority of mankind at all those times and places and know that I am not the poor of the earth.

D&C 38:26 For what man among you having twelve sons, and is no respecter of them, and they serve him obediently, and he saith unto the one: Be thou clothed in robes and sit thou here; and to the other: Be thou clothed in rags and sit thou there—and looketh upon his sons and saith I am just?
 27 Behold, this I have given unto you as a parable, and it is even as I am. I say unto you, be one; and if ye are not one ye are not mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment